Ok guys!! I’m a big tater tots and fries fan, biiiig fan, however I´ve cut down on those delicious goods for only special occasion. so when I want something awesome, I´ve discovered these recipes for veggie tots, I love these bloggers they are culinary geniuses and they have helped me change my diet so easily.
So if you get tired of the everyday brown rice side dish, or you want a healthy watch-the-fight-snack like me these are a great option.
This year, on one of my foodies adventures I visited several Korean food places that have become a big deal here in Tj. And they have these zucchini tots that are the bomb, obviously I wanted to make some for home, that when I stumbled into these recipes from my favorite food bloggers, they have healthy veggie rich recipes and always keep it fresh (literally).
Servings: 4 • Size: 8 tots • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 148 • Fat: 5 g • Protein: 10 g • Carb: 16 g • Fiber: 3 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 397 mg (without salt) • Cholesterol: 47 mg
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower florets, finely chopped *see note
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
*to cook the cauliflower florets, steam a little over 2 cups raw cauliflower florets in a little water covered for for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender but not mushy, then drain well and dry on paper towel, then using a knife finely chop and set 2 cups aside.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small ovals. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.
Makes about 32 – 34 tots
So here’s a plan B guys, it’s another recipe from another one of my favorite bloggers, cupcakesandkalechips.com I´ll be making some of these today and hopefully they´ll turn out right… I´ll let you know on my next post.
I liked this recipe too because of the cheese addition, my hubby is not a big cauliflower fan so I´m hoping the cheese part will distract him a little jajajaaj…
Anyways, you can also try this with broccoli, shredded zucchini, shredded carrots (cooked or frozen) and still you will get your daily veggie amount and it will be a lot more slimming than fries or wings. And with a little greek yogurt dipping sauce this can even be a great UFC night appetizer.
- 3 c (about half of a head) shredded cauliflower (see Note)
- 4 oz. (about 1 c) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used Cabot 50% Light Sharp Cheddar)
- 1 egg
- ¼ c cornmeal
- 1 t kosher salt
- a few grinds black pepper
- ½ t ground mustard
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with oil or coking spray.
- Place the shredded cauliflower in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix together thoroughly. I like to use a fork.
- Using a spoon or scoop, divide the mixture between the muffin cups and press down firmly into the cups.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.